Goa State Holiday List 2024
Goa, known for its vibrant culture and diverse population, celebrates a variety of festivals throughout the year. This article is going to discuss in detail about Goa State Holiday List 2024. Some of the most celebrated state festivals in Goa include:
- Carnival: One of the most famous and eagerly awaited festivals in Goa, Carnival is a vibrant, colorful celebration held before the beginning of Lent. It features lively parades with elaborate floats, music, dance, and people dressed in elaborate costumes. Carnival usually takes place in February.
- Shigmo or Shishirotsav: Shigmo is Goa’s version of Holi, and it is celebrated with much enthusiasm and fervor. It involves colorful processions, traditional folk dances like the Ghode Modni and Fugdi, and the display of traditional art forms. Shigmo usually takes place in March.
- Diwali: Diwali, the festival of lights, is celebrated with great joy and enthusiasm in Goa. People decorate their homes with oil lamps and colorful rangolis, burst fireworks, and share sweets and gifts with friends and family.
- Ganesh Chaturthi: Although Ganesh Chaturthi is more prominently celebrated in states like Maharashtra, it is also observed with devotion in Goa. Devotees install Ganesha idols in their homes, and there are public processions and immersion ceremonies.
- Shivaratri: The festival dedicated to Lord Shiva, Shivaratri, is celebrated with special prayers and rituals in Goa. Devotees visit Shiva temples, participate in night-long vigils, and perform traditional dances and music.
- Feast of St. Francis Xavier: This is an important religious festival celebrated in Old Goa in early December. The feast commemorates the death anniversary of St. Francis Xavier, whose body is preserved in the Basilica of Bom Jesus. Pilgrims from various parts of the world visit the church during this time.
- Sao Joao Festival: Celebrated in June, this monsoon festival involves the celebration of the feast of St. John the Baptist. Traditionally, young men jump into wells and water bodies to retrieve gifts thrown by villagers. It is a unique and lively celebration.
- Dussehra: Dussehra is celebrated with religious fervor in Goa. Effigies of the demon king Ravana are burnt to symbolize the triumph of good over evil. The festival typically takes place in October.
|Milad-un-Nabi or Id-e-Milad
|Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday
|Guru Nanak’s Birthday
State Wise Holiday List 2024
Monthwise Holiday List of 2024
This article contains the most celebrated state wide festivals of Goa. Book mark this article on Goa State Holiday List 2024 article. You can also go through State Wise Holiday List 2024 and Monthwise Holiday List of 2024.